In today’s blog I am going to give you some tips on how to prevent a consistent slice from occurring or re-occurring in your golf game.
Firstly if you have read my previous 2 blogs and established you have a weakness in your oblique’s or a stiffness in your hips then please see below two great exercises to help improve oblique strength and hip mobility.
Exercise 1 (Oblique strengthening):
- Start with a resistance band tied to a door/pole,
- Position your body so your in a golf stance.
- Rotate your body away from the door/pole making sure your hips remain facing forward.
- Use both hands to pull the band mimicking the golf back swing.
- Rotate to the left and right completing 15 reps 3 times round towards the right, then to the left.
Exercise 2(hip stretch):
- Lay on your back with knees bent.
- Place one foot on the opposite knee and drop knee out to side creating a figure of 4 shape.
- Use a wall to push against to feel a stretch in the buttock/outside of hip area.
- Hold the stretch for 30s and complete this 3 times round on the right and left.
The above exercises will help prevent that sliding movement at your hips. Helping you to rotate you’re hips and torso (upper body). In doing this you will help to prevent your hands from dropping on the inside. Which makes the club face being open on impact and will prevent that slice from re-occurring in your game.
If you are looking to prevent a slice from occurring or are worried about this shot shape appearing in your game. I would advise you to carry out a Golf specific Screening to establish any movement faults or weaknesses in the body. As these may lead to a slice consistently occurring in your golf game.
The screening is a golf specific screen and consists of 10 tests. Each designed to analyse movement and establish weak links in the body, which could lead to a consistent slice. If you would like to know more about the screening get in touch. Watch Stephen carry out a few of the tests on golf professional Rick Shiels from Trafford Centre Golf. Please click the link below and watch the Youtube video.